3rd Davyhulme (Lostock) Scout Group, one of the largest in the district with over 200 members, offers unparalleled facilities through the Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts, Explorer Scouts and the Band.
The Group was born out of St Bartholomew’s Presbyterian Church, which was formed by people who worked at the Metropolitan-Vickers factory in Trafford Park during World War II. Metro-Vickers was, at that time, building the Lancaster Bomber.
The date of the groups registration was the 17th May 1943 which coincidentally is also the day that the newly formed 617 Squadron of the R.A.F., using the top secret weapon of the time, Barns Wallis’s bouncing bomb, returned from its raid on the German Dams.
Some of the Group’s past leaders have been members of Lancaster Crews and the parents and grandparents of todays members worked at Metro-Vickers and Ford building the Lancaster and its engines. Roy Chadwick was the chief designer of the Lancaster Bomber and he lived in Urmston (Westbourne Road). He served his apprenticeship at British Westinghouse (later Metro Vickers) with George Hicks and Lesley Naylor. George was our first Group Scout Leader and Lesley was the District Commissioner for a good number of years. All three worked in the drawing office together. Our Explorer Scout section take their name from the Lancaster ‘s Rolls Royce engine, the “Merlin”.
All of this contributes to why the group badge depicts a Lancaster Bomber over the Scout Arrowhead Badge.
Permission was given by the 617 Squadron R.A.F. The Bomber Association and by British Aerospace to use the Lancaster and the associated names for our emblem.